50 years ago today, Jim Whittaker became the first American to stand atop Everest. Congratulations on 50 years to the entire American Mount Everest Expedition team!
At our 2013 Annual Benefit Dinner, celebrating the 50 Years of Americans on Everest, we collaborated with National Geographic ADVENTURE magazine to talk to the people who know Everest best. See what they had to say about the state of Everest in the film “50 Years on Everest- Climbers’ Candid Thoughts on the State of the World’s Tallest Peak.”
Can’t get enough Everest?
- Read Phil Powers’ thoughts on Everest: Then and Now
- Check out our write-up and photos from this year’s 2013 Annual Benefit Dinner
- Experience our online exhibit, Everest 1963: The American Odyssey
- View Everest photos from the personal collections of Jim Lester, Ed Webster, and others
- 15 climbers and guides reflect on Everest, portraits by Cory Richards