AAC’s Work as “Community Developer” Acclaimed in Climbing Magazine
The American Alpine Club (AAC) is a proud recipient of a 2013 Golden Piton Award for its service to the climbing community. Named the year’s “Community Developer” in the February 2013 issue of Climbing magazine, the award recognizes several recent triumphs that have benefitted Club members and the community at large.
The award opens: “On a five-year mission to reinvent itself as the leading national organization for all types of climbers, the 110-year-old AAC announced sweeping new benefits for the 21st century.” It then points to successes already realized as part of that Five-year Plan, including:
- Doubling life-saving rescue benefits for members ($10,000)
- Building the New River Gorge Campground in West Virginia
- Renovating and reopening the Hueco Rock Ranch
- Launching Live Your Dream Grants that fund dreams for climbers of all abilities
- Launching Cornerstone Conservation Grants that improve crag infrastructure